Thursday, July 2, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I am finally home, after two days of traveling. We got to the Nairobi Airport at 6 pm our time. The plane left at 10:10 and then it took about 10 hours to fly to Amsterdam where we had a 5 hour lay over. Our next flight was to Seattle and it took 9 hours! Through this whole time, I slept for about 1.5 hours, so I was exhausted when I got home, especially since I hadn't gotten much sleep for the 4 nights before we left.

It's weird to be home. In Kenya life is so much slower. You lived in the moment and didn't worry about what was going to happen next. Now that I'm home, I'm already so over whelmed with everything that I have to do. Nick and I have about 2-3 free weekends for the rest of this summer.

It's also weird to have some of the extras that I haven't had for a while. At my home, we didn't have a mirror, so I went nearly a month with out seeing myself, which was probably the for the best, cause I'm sure that I looked lovely after 4 days with out a shower!! It's nice to know that I will always have toilet paper! People where I lived can't afford this, so we had to buy it for ourselves. At one point we ran out and had to make due with what ever we could find. One time I used the plastic wrapper to a pack of cookies I had eaten! This experience made me feel closer to the people there. The family I stayed with will use old used exercise books, but we can only imagine what those who can't afford these use!!!

I'm really sad that I will never see these people again, and will not be able to keep into contact with most of them. They were all great people and I have high hopes for all of them!

Over all, I had a blast and can't wait to go on my next trip abroad, however next time I am going for much longer, a month was way to short!

Since this blog is meant only for my travles, I wont be writing in it again until then! Make sure you log back on in September to read about our New York/Boston trip. I will also post if we do any good backpacking or camping trips this summer!!

Even though it's a little late, I'm going to go back and add pics to all my old blogs so that people can see a few of them. Unfortunately I can only add a few pics for each one, so if you want to see more then we can get together and I can show them to you!! Thanks again for everyones support!

Love you all
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment