Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Triplets

Anyone ever wonder what it would be like to have triplets?  Any one want to know what it would be like to have sick triplets and be a single parent?  I got a little taste of what this was like the other day, and let me tell you, it’s a LOT of work.

Nick took the group that was here to the beach, and our nurse went away for the night to have some time off.  This left just Maria and I here to man the place.  Maria took over Amy’s job of giving all our children their meds and watching one of our little one’s who has been staying in their apartment.  I was in charge of the other three who are staying in the volunteer house as well as my normal duties.  These three aren’t actually triplets, and in fact have no relation what so ever, but they are fairly close in age, so for the day I considered them triplets.
Two of the three can’t hold their own bottles, and the third will often choose not too and eats way better when being held.  All three children are very stubborn and if they feel like it will refuse to eat, which means you can spend 45 mins with one child and only get .5 oz’s down them, or sometimes none at all.  Basically, as soon as I was done feeding, changing, bathing, checking temperatures, and administering meds as needed to all three of them, it was time to start the process over again.  This went on from about 7 am to 5 pm when the group got back home.  I had about a 30 min break all day where they were all sleeping and was able to grab a bit to eat.  
At one time, I had 2 of them screaming, all 3 needing to eat, one covered in diarrhea and in need of a bath, the laundry ladies telling me that the clothes were done and that I needed to come to the baby house to put them away, and a mess all over the floor and play pen.  And it was just me!  
Since being here I have become accustomed to having random bits of poop, diarrhea, boogers, slobber, etc all over me, but this day I had way more of that then normal.  And this is coming from someone who a few years ago swore I would never change a poopy diaper. 
When the group got back I was so exhausted that I just sat there and couldn’t even think clearly.  The ironic part is that Sundays are our “Day Off,” but that never really happens!!
Even though I was extremely busy, I can’t think of anywhere else I would rather be.  Each day these children find some way to amaze me.  It may be a little look or them trying to talk, or wanting to help, but each day I fall more and more in love with these children and this place.  We said that before we left we were confident this is where we were supposed to go, and we still feel that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment