Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mothers Day

Well my first Mothers Day didn't go quite how I had always thought my first Mothers Day as a new Mom would go.  I always figured I'd spend the entire day with my family, have a nice meal together, and maybe do something special and fun.  I thought we would talk, laugh, eat, and take pictures together.  We had planned to go to the beach for the day, but being short staffed, having lots of very sick kids, and being right in the middle of the solar panel installation, this just wasn't a possibility.

Although Eventz is and always will be my biggest priority, God had a lesson for me to learn last Sunday. He wanted to remind me that I am not only a Mother to one adorable little boy, but a Mother to 43+ amazing little children.  My Mothers Day was not spent with "my Family."  I spent no more than 10 minutes at a time with my son, and even less time with my husband.  My Mom was even down here, but I spent no time with her.

My day was however spent with my other children.  Children who needed someone to be there to be their Mom for the day.  I was exhausted after being up all night with two fragile little babies who were having bad diarrhea, vomiting, and scary high fevers.  One of these little boys has actually died before while having similar symptoms and had to be resuscitated.  I knew that at any second, he could get that bad again.  Mothers Day was spent taking care of these two boys and another little girl to ensure that their health would improve.  It was spent changing diarrhea diapers and getting vomited on.  My day involved helping our nurse attempt to put an IV in one of our babies to try and get them rehydrated.  It involved breathing treatments and checking temperatures.  It was spent having a staff meeting to discuss what changes we needed to make immediately to help improve the health of our babies.

It was spent checkin on a little boy who has a heart condition who needs to be on oxygen 24/7.  Running into his room each time our power shut off to make sure that his stats stayed high.  It was spent talking to his Mother to ensure that he was eating enough and staying hydrated.

My day was also spent burying one of our sweet babies who didn't have a Mother.  Rikerns, the guy who digs the graves, and I were the only ones at this little girls funeral.  She didn't have a Mother.  Her Mother had abandoned her a few months prior.  Was she abandoned because her Mother didn't love her or wasn't a good Mother?  NO, I don't believe that for a second.  In fact, I'm sure it's just the opposite.  I'm sure that she loved her so much and wanted what was best for her, and knew that she could not provide that.

Each morning when I get Eventz out of bed I get a sweet hug from him.  Nick and I get to read him a story, pray with him, and give him kisses before bed.  We play with him all the time and are able to watch him grow and develop on a daily basis.  Many Mothers long for these experiences with their children, but are unable to have them.  I am blessed to be able to spend every day with my son!

I may not have spent Mothers Day with my son, but I was able to spend it with my other children who needed me more.  I'm learning that it's not about the big moments, but the small ones that are more important.

Like the other day for instance.  Nick was watching Eventz so that I could get some work done.  After searching the whole compound for them, I finally found them taking a nap together!  Is this not just the cutest thing ever!

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated mother's day! Not many moms have done what you have, acting as a mom to many children in need. Sounds like you discovered some amazing things, and appreciating every moment is so important!

    and cute pic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete